a grayscale of a lady justice figurine Photo by KATRIN BOLOVTSOVA on Pexels.com

Motorcyclist sentenced to prison for extensive reckless driving

Read Time:2 Minute, 30 Second

A 30-year-old man has been sentenced by the Court in Aarhus to two years and three months in prison for a long series of violations of the Danish Road Traffic Act, including several cases of so-called reckless driving on a motorcycle. At the same time, he has been banned from driving for ten years, and two motorcycles as well as a camera have been confiscated.

The case began on May 9, 2024, when a patrol from the East Jutland Police stopped a motorcyclist who was driving at high speed on the Herning motorway near Brabrand. The motorcycle had no license plates, and the rider had already had his driving license revoked.

Subsequently, the police seized a camera mounted on the man’s helmet. The recordings on the camera became central to the investigation and showed a long series of violations of the traffic law.

In total, the 30-year-old was convicted of more than 90 offences.

“The total number of traffic law violations makes the case one of the largest ever within the traffic area, and there has been extensive and dedicated police work behind the district court’s significant ruling, where the 30-year-old man has now been sentenced to more than two years in prison, has been banned from driving for ten years, and has had two motorcycles and his GoPro camera confiscated,” says Special Prosecutor Mai Buch from the Prosecution Service at East Jutland Police.

During the case it was documented, among other things, that the man on several occasions had driven at extremely high speeds and carried out dangerous manoeuvres.

“I am satisfied that the court agreed with both the police and the prosecution that this has been a very serious case with several grave violations of the Road Traffic Act. The 30-year-old man has, among other things, on 14 different occasions posed a specific danger to other people’s lives and physical safety, while on several occasions he drove on rural roads on one wheel at speeds of up to 250 km/h, where the permitted speed is 80 km/h,” says Mai Buch.

She adds:

“No matter how skilled you may believe you are in traffic, the Road Traffic Act applies to everyone, as it can cost human lives in the worst case when accidents occur involving high speeds. The 30-year-old man also had a particular responsibility when he filmed and shared his life-threatening driving with a large group of followers on social media, and therefore I am also quite satisfied that he, at the very least, will not be able to inspire others in the coming years with the kind of reckless and extremely dangerous driving that we have seen in the videos.”

The prosecution had brought charges in 92 counts, and the 30-year-old was convicted in accordance with the indictment. During the case he pleaded not guilty to the offences and has also been ordered to pay the legal costs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *